- 1 large eggplant (500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of almond flour (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs (basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese or other Italian hard cheese (90 g/ 3.2 oz)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup high heat oil for frying (55 g/ 1.9 oz) – add more if needed
- 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Cut the eggplant widthwise into thin slices (about 1/4 inch / 1/2 cm thick). Season the slices with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and leave to rest for about an hour.
- Pat dry the excess moisture with a clean kitchen cloth or paper towel. I placed each slice between two pieces of paper towel and squeezed to drain.
- Whisk the eggs and cream in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, grated Parmesan cheese and mix with Italian herbs (I used oregano, basil and thyme). Dip the eggplant slices, one at a time, in the egg, then in the flour mixture.
- Heat a large pan with 1/4 inch of the oil (more if needed). Allow the oil to come up to about 300º . Add the eggplant slices in a single layer and fry on each side over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy, the oil should be hot, and sizzle immediately when you drop the eggplant in. Fry the eggplant in batches and add more oil as needed.
- Drain fried eggplant on a wire rack, or tray lined with paper towels.
- Now assemble the Eggplant Parm, Preheat the oven to 350º, Assemble the eggplant in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Top each slice with a spoonful of marinara sauce, and a handful of shredded mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Switch to broil and broil on high for a few more minutes until the cheese crisps up.