VIBES: 112 “Come See Me”
An easy one pot version of Jamaican Rice and Peas, sourced from here.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans rinsed, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Rinse and soak your beans overnight, then simmer on low for 2 hours until tender. You can add some aromatics to the pot to boost flavor (a few smashed garlic cloves, a quartered onion, some fresh thyme, etc..) OR you can also use a 28 oz can of Kidney Beans if you are short on time.
- Rinse rice in a fine strainer until liquid runs clear.
- Heat oil in a large 5-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, green onions, and thyme; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, kidney beans, stock (or water), coconut milk, scotch bonnet pepper, salt, sugar, black pepper, red pepper flakes and allspice.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it is boiling rapidly, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 20 minutes.