- 2 medium heads chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 small tomatoes, quartered or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber (about 8 ounces), seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 6 ounces feta cheese, sliced into ¼” cubes (about 1 ¼ cups)
- A handful of chopped dill
- Protein of choice: chicken, shrimp, salmon, tofu, crunchy chickpeas*
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- A dash of honey
- 1 small red onion
- ¾ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano (not ground)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
*NOTE: I marinated the chicken and shrimp with garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and paprika for 20 mins, and then sautéed on a hot cast iron skillet with a bit of olive oil until cooked through and crispy on both sides.
First marinate the onions, thinly slice the red onion and set aside. In a small bowl, stir the olive oil, red wine vinegar and dried oregano together to combine well. Add the onions to the mixture, making sure they are submerged. Let sit on counter at room temperature to marinate for a few hours and up to 12 hours before using. Keeps for 2-3 days unrefrigerated.
NOTE: this recipe is from No Crumbs Left and can be done ahead of time and the onions can be used over two days, then use the rest of the marinade for a salad dressing. They keep well on the kitchen counter and taste good with everything, if you put in the fridge the oil will solidify. Check out the original recipe here.
Next make the Vinaigrette, For the vinaigrette, whisk together garlic, oregano, vinegar, salt, pepper and honey in a small bowl (or blender.) Still whisking, slowly add the olive oil to make an emulsion. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Now cook your protein.
Assemble all the salad ingredients in a large bowl or platter, topping with the onions, feta and dill. Add your protein and serve.