VIBES: Tom Petty “American Girl”
My favorite comfort food.
- 2 eggs
- kosher salt + pepper
- 2.5 cups fresh breadcrumbs*, panko or store bought Italian style breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 8 thin chicken cutlets (about 1 1/2 lb)
- In a shallow dish, whisk eggs to combine. In another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs + parmesean with salt + pepper.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or other heavy deep skillet, heat oil over medium. Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels. Dip in egg (letting excess drip off). Dredge in breadcrumbs, turning twice and patting to adhere.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Working in batches, add chicken to skillet; cook, gently shaking skillet occasionally, until chicken is browned, about 4 minutes. Turn with tongs; cook until browned and opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes more (if browning too quickly, lower heat). Between batches, skim off brown crumbs from oil with a slotted spoon. Drain chicken on paper towels; or a wire rack. Season with a touch of flaky salt.
Serve with pasta, on top of a salad, with veggies or use to make Chicken Parmesan.
To freeze: Arrange uncooked breaded chicken breasts on two large cookie sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; freeze 3 to 4 hours or until frozen solid. Wrap each breast in plastic wrap, and store together in 2-quart freezer bag up to 1 month. To bake: Heat oven to 450°F. Place desired number of frozen breaded chicken breasts in 1 layer on cookie sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Turn over; bake 8 to 10 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). To Fry: Thaw in a refrigerator and cook as directed above.