A recipe I got many years ago from the one and only Cookie Johnson, which is a version of Patti Labelles “Over the Rainbow” Mac + Cheese. I cut the recipe in half and bake it in a cast iron skillet for maximum crunchy bits.
- 1 tablespoons sea salt
- 1/2 pound elbow noodles
- 4 Tbsp stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 cups mix of shredded cheeses such as mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella, muenster, pepper jack, provolone, and american (I did 1/2 cup of each)
- 1/2 cup cream or evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, very cold, grated with a cheese grater
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet with butter.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil with the sea salt and oil. Add the noodles and cook for 7 minutes. Drain and cool the pasta.
- Place the cooked noodles in a large bowl. Pour the melted butter over the pasta. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of the seasoned salt and mix well, then add the eggs. Reserve 1/2 cup of the mixed shredded cheese before adding the mild Cheddar, sharp Cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, muenster, pepper jack, american and provolone, and mix thoroughly. Make sure the cheese is evenly mixed into the noodles. Transfer the noodles to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the dish with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, Pour the cream over the top. Top with the panko some grated cold butter shavings, more shredded cheese. Bake the mac and cheese until it starts to bubble around the edges, 35 minutes. Serve hot.